Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Purpose of Ten Commandments

5 posters

Go down

The Purpose of Ten Commandments Empty The Purpose of Ten Commandments

Post  Waqar Daniel Tue 26 Jun 2007, 10:25 am

The Purpose of Ten Commandments 6higups

For many, the Ten Commandments are symbols of condemnation that point to our faults and mistakes. Others simply choose to reject God because His Law is impossible to obey. Some argue that God is unjust for imposing a standard upon humanity that He knows we can't fulfill and they ask and challenge "Doesn't it seem awfully cruel for a loving God to condemn man for the evil that is inherently part of the human condition?" Yet many people hold this belief that Ten Commandments do not apply on Christians as they were given to Israelities only, through Moses. Most of the times, Ten Commandments are not preached as they should be.

The questions are:

1. Are Ten Commandments only for Jews or for Christians too?
2. Is God cruel or is He loving and just?

The Ten Commandments are recorded in the Old Testament in the Book of Exodus, Chapter 20. They were given directly by God to the people of Israel at Mount Sinai after He had delivered them from slavery in Egypt:

In Bold are Commandments from Exodus and in blue are teachings of Jesus Christ found in the four Gospels.

"And God spoke all these words, saying: 'I am the LORD your God?

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

This verse is for Command 1, 2 & 3

Jesus answered him, "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' [Mathew 22]

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

Then Jesus went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath he went as usual to the synagogue. He stood up to read the Scriptures and was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it is written, "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has chosen me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set free the oppressed and announce that the time has come when the Lord will save his people." Jesus rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant, and sat down. All the people in the synagogue had their eyes fixed on him, as he said to them, "This passage of scripture has come true today, as you heard it being read." They were all well impressed with him and marveled at the eloquent words that he spoke. They said, "Isn't he the son of Joseph?" [Luke 4-22]

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

Jesus answered, "And why do you disobey God's command and follow your own teaching? For God said, "Respect your father and your mother,' and "Whoever curses his father or his mother is to be put to death.' But you teach that if a person has something he could use to help his father or mother, but says, "This belongs to God,' he does not need to honor his father. In this way you disregard God's command, in order to follow your own teaching. You hypocrites! How right Isaiah was when he prophesied about you! "These people, says God, honor me with their words, but their heart is really far away from me. It is no use for them to worship me, because they teach man-made rules as though they were my laws!" [Mathew 15-9]

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

"You have heard that people were told in the past, "Do not commit murder; anyone who does will be brought to trial.' But now I tell you: whoever is angry with his brother will be brought to trial, whoever calls his brother "You good-for-nothing!' will be brought before the Council, and whoever calls his brother a worthless fool will be in danger of going to the fire of hell. So if you are about to offer your gift to God at the altar and there you remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar, go at once and make peace with your brother, and then come back and offer your gift to God [Mathew 5-24]

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

"You have heard that it was said, "Do not commit adultery.' But now I tell you: anyone who looks at a woman and wants to possess her is guilty of committing adultery with her in his heart. So if your right eye causes you to sin, take it out and throw it away! It is much better for you to lose a part of your body than to have your whole body thrown into hell. If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away! It is much better for you to lose one of your limbs than to have your whole body go off to hell. "It was also said, "Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a written notice of divorce.' But now I tell you: if a man divorces his wife for any cause other than her unfaithfulness, then he is guilty of making her commit adultery if she marries again; and the man who marries her commits adultery also. [Mathew 5-33]

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

Then a man came to Jesus and said, "Teacher, what good deed should I do to gain eternal life?" Jesus said to him, "Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you want to enter into life, obey the commandments." "Which commandments?" the man asked. Jesus said, "Never murder. Never commit adultery. Never steal. Never give false testimony. [Mathew 19-17]

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

You know the commandments: Never murder. Never commit adultery. Never steal. Never give false testimony. Never cheat. Honor your father and mother." [Mark 10]

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

'Love your neighbor as yourself. [Mathew 22]

Jesus shows the importance of Ten Commandments

I can guarantee this truth: Until the earth and the heavens disappear, neither a period nor a comma will disappear from Moses' Teachings before everything has come true. [Mathew 5]

When we examine our life in light of the Ten Commandments, we realize our shortcomings and our need for redemption. Jesus Christ is our redeemer. Therefore, God gave the Ten Commandments not to condemn humanity, but to show us His love for us. For, "While we were still sinners, Christ died for us" [Romans 5].

Jesus answered him, "If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. [John 14] Here actually Jesus is talking of the promise, "I will never leave you forsake you."

Last edited by Waqar Daniel on Sun 28 Feb 2010, 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Mood : I feel Blessed
Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2007-06-25

Warning : The Purpose of Ten Commandments 110

https://christian-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Purpose of Ten Commandments Empty Re: The Purpose of Ten Commandments

Post  Chris Sat 02 Aug 2008, 6:37 am

Daniel,
Thank you for this and this is so true. The law of God was given so that we might recognize our sin and realize our need for a Holy and Perfect God. There are also 2 verses of scripture that reinforces what you have already said "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." Matthew 5:17-18
Jesus just took the law and built upon it and I believe it was capped off when the Holy Spirit led Paul to write these words in Galatians 5:14 "For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself."
God Bless You All,
Chris
Chris
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  dove Fri 12 Sep 2008, 9:18 pm

dove
dove
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 246
Marital Status : Still Looking
Registration date : 2007-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  sunshine Sat 13 Sep 2008, 4:11 pm

Recently I bought this Book titled,  The Ten Commandments of God: The Life of the Original Christians. This book is available at Spiritual Books. Following is the excerpts from the Book
The Fifth Commandment

In most Bibles the fifth commandment reads simply and clearly: “You shall not kill.” It is also this way in the “Scofield Bible,” but a footnote says more or less: “The Hebrew language uses various words to express the term “kill”. The verb that is used here is a special word that can mean only murder and always indicates intentional killing.”

In the standardized translation of the Bible used by the Protestant and Catholic churches in Germany, it is already “official.” There it now says: “You shall not murder.”

This raises questions. What is now correct? Is it “You shall not kill” or “You shall not murder”? How should we behave as Christians?

The footnote in the Scofield Bible mentioned above says that we should not kill intentionally. When considering the animal world, this commandment to not kill intentionally makes sense; for wherever we place our foot, there are many animals under our feet – in part very tiny ones. We crush some of the animals, but we don’t do it intentionally. When we lean against a tree, we may also kill some tiny animals; we don’t see them, and so we don’t do it intentionally. However, when we want to kill a person, then we will do this intentionally. And according to the common use of language, this is nothing other than murder. And so, killing is actually the same as murder.

When we look more closely at the facts, we recognize that when a human being kills another human being, then he has certain thoughts beforehand, and thoughts are powers. We may not see the thoughts, but they are energies, realities, and they have their effects. For example, in war, we have thoughts of fear. The enemy – this is what we call our brother – could kill us. And so, we kill him first. If one is a soldier, he has to have the thought that he will kill, for a soldier learns and practises killing in order to then do it.

If an institution – like, for instance, the Catholic institution or the Protestant institution – approves of war, then it’s not surprising that a footnote like the one given in the Scofield Bible is conveniently added.

Whether killing or murdering – everyone knows: The one who goes to war will probably kill his brother. Since Jesus of Nazareth told us that we are all brothers and sisters, children of one Father, this is simply fratricide, whether killing or murdering.

A question to you, dear reader: Does it make any difference to you whether you are killed or murdered? Probably not, because dead is dead.
If we are real Christians, then we have to ask ourselves what would Jesus say about this? When Peter cut off a soldier’s ear, He said to him: “Put your sword in its scabbard”, and Jesus healed the ear. Why? “Do not do violence or injustice to any person.”

Jesus said as follows: “The one who takes up the sword will die by the sword.” And so, this means that the one who takes up his pistol and kills his brother will also be killed by the pistol, by the shot, unless he strives for the grace of God and has pangs of conscience and clears up his guilt with his whole heart. But when we say right from the beginning: “Today I will kill my brother, who is my enemy, tomorrow I can clear it up”, then this won’t help us.

Violence will always produce violence. We know the senselessness of war. There, soldiers are sent to war so that there will be peace. But can one make peace with weapons, with cannons, with killing our neighbour?

We know that everything sinful that goes out from us comes back to us. The fear of our neighbour who feels the shot in his heart and senses that he will die, his pain, his many thoughts, his hatred, his desire for revenge are all energies that don’t dissolve into nothing. They will show themselves somewhere, partly in the one who dies, because he, too, was a soldier. He takes this part of the negative energies with him as burden into the realm of the souls and usually into a future earthly life. But the feelings and thoughts of the dying person will also fall back on the one who did it. He killed intentionally, because he knew beforehand that as a soldier he would kill.

What is not atoned for in this life will lead us into similar situations in future lives. For instance, we will be born in a country where war prevails. Through the wheel of reincarnation, the doer of the deed and his victim will come together again and again. They will be the culprit and the victim, enemies, again and again, until someday when they offer their hands to each other and make peace. The guilt that binds them to each other – that chains them to each other, so to speak – will be cleared up and dissolved only by asking each other for forgiveness and by forgiving.

The wheel of reincarnation, the reality of reincarnation is clearly visible in many of the occurrences of today. Everything is energy and no energy is lost. In war, for example, a tremendous wave of concentrated and aggressive negative energy becomes effective. It is the sin-potential of many people that has not been cleared up, and which has – possibly over centuries – accumulated and built up.

In the Bible it says: “What the person sows, that will he reap.” And so, if we sow death, by killing our neighbour intentionally, then we will also reap death in this way, if we don’t recognize our causes in time, clear them up with the grace of God and no longer do them. For this is what Jesus taught us.

The wheel of reincarnation keeps on turning and brings again and again to incarnation those souls which have loaded guilt onto themselves and not yet paid it off. When we trace back the various wars in this world, then we recognize that similar wars flare up again and again in the same countries or in neighbouring countries. Why? Because the causes haven’t been cleared up; they are coming into effect.

Through Moses, God gave us the commandment: “You shall not kill.” Why was this passage in the Bible recently falsified into the words “You shall not murder”? Let’s look behind this. The following explanation may be probable: Both churches that carried out this falsification approve of war. With the reformulation of the fifth commandment, they now have a biblical justification for this; because according to their point of view the killing of a person in war is “only” killing and not murdering. Since killing is supposed to be allowed now, wars can thus be waged without reservation and people can be killed in war.

When we look deeper into the correlations, we again recognize here the wheel of reincarnation. In the past epochs, the Catholic Church marched into the “holy” wars, in order to kill or forcefully Christianize those of different faiths. And so, it was done by the Franconian army in the first crusade, for example, to the Jews in the Rhine valley and to Christian Hungarians and the Saracens. And this is also what happened to hundreds of thousands of Indians in the time of the discovery of South America. And it also took place in the 20th century when it was thought that the Balkan states should be populated only by “Christians”. One killed and robbed – and this supposedly in the name of Christ.

This massive potential of negativity continues to be present in the souls of the culprits of that time, if they have not changed their ways. And so, many church authorities of today, who may have been incarnated in those times and took part in the so-called holy wars, may still have this in their souls. And because it is still in the soul, the word “killing” is perhaps activated in many a so-called prince of the church. Thoughts and feelings come up in him. But instead of recognizing his thoughts and feelings and clearing them up with Christ, he suggests that killing in war is allowed, because it was also allowed in the holy war.

Murder, that is, so-called deliberate killing, slaughtering, was even then subject to the commandment “You shall not kill”. What really happened? How were those of different faith slaughtered?

How was it for the ancient Germanic people? Either baptized or beheaded! And how was it for the Indians? Either “with us, the Christians” – or to “hell”! And how was it for the heretics? Either with the church – or to death! Mocked, mutilated, slaughtered, burned by the hundreds of thousands, by the millions – by whom?

The wheel of reincarnation turns. The same souls come again into different human bodies. Where to? To that place where their soul burden draws them. Let’s ask ourselves the question once more: Was this killing or murdering? And: What do we prefer? To be killed or murdered? Both mean dead. Life is taken deliberately.

The fifth commandment also holds true in our relationship with the animals. Both institutions, Catholic and Protestant, approve of animal experiments.

But animals, too, can feel! The animals scream in the slaughterhouses, because they sense that their life will be taken in a few minutes. They sense they won’t be allowed to die according to the laws of nature, but that a bullet will end their lives.

Let’s look into this more closely and ask: Why are so many animals so sad? Because they have suffered consciously, or because they sense that they will suffer enormously, perhaps through animal experiments. The part-souls of many animals carry these experiences, the grief and suffering of hundreds and thousands of years. This makes many animals sad and others aggressive. Who is guilty? That they were wantonly killed by the millions and billions, that is, deliberately slaughtered and used for experiments, well, what of it? “It’s only an animal” says the person, but the animal, too, can feel. An animal that is beaten feels; it cries; it complains. If we yell at an animal, see how it draws back and moves away from us. We can see that it senses and feels. And its feelings are much finer than those of a human being: It knows when it is going to the slaughtering block; it knows when it will be used for animal experiments.

And from the words “Do not murder”, couldn’t one possibly derive a justification for bull fights and cock fights, for all those occasions where people allow killing out of the lust for a fight, for the destruction of an “opponent” or for the pleasure of killing. But it isn’t murder.

The human being is cruel. So why is one allowed to kill, but not to murder? We Christians should think about this “why”.

Download pdf Copy from here
sunshine
sunshine
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 24
Marital Status : Still Looking
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post  crystalriver Thu 05 Aug 2010, 3:50 am

I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GETTING YOUR INFORMATION, BUT IT IS CERTAINLY NOT FROM THE KING JAMES VERSION OF THE BIBLE. GOD DID NOT GIVE THE TEN COMMANDMENTS DIRECTLY TO THE PEOPLE. HE GAVE THEM TO MOSES, AND MOSES GAVE THEM TO THE PEOPLE. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS ARE FOR CHRISTIANS. JESUS DID NOT COME TO DO AWAY WITH THE LAWS, HE CAME TO FULLFILL THEM. GOD SAID HIS WORD WOULD NOT PASS AWAY. CHRISTIANS SHOULD DO THEIR VERY BEST TO KEEP ALL OF GOD'S COMMANDMENTS. WE MUST ALL BE OBEDIENT TO THE WORD OF GOD, NO MATTER WHO WE ARE.
REVEREND WILLIAM BAKER
crystalriver
crystalriver
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 15
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Warning : The Purpose of Ten Commandments Bans10

Back to top Go down